5.13.2007

Vicodin + DDG = Very Bad News

so...friday found me crowing about the vicodin i received to cope with my root canal. mmmm...good, strong vicodin would make me very happy, i thought. i bragged to my blogosphere friends about how cool it was that i had vicodin in my possession. the root canal pain was bad friday morning, so i took two vicodin shortly after i arrived at work. the night before i had taken a few, it seemed to take care of the pain very well. no big deal to take a couple, i thought.

at around 11:00 am, i started to feel weird. i was a bit dizzy and out of sorts, and not making a ton of sense as i tried to help my fave co-worker, BBMG, work out a problem. it was kind of funny. then the nausea kicked in. it was intense. i sat at my desk with my head laying on my arms, taking deep breaths and trying to get rid of the horrible feeling. BBMG was sweet and brought me some bubbly soda, and encouraged me to eat a bit. nothing was working. i was disappointed when i realized i would not be able to join BBMG for a nice relaxing lunch. i was going to have to head home and lay down a bit.

both my boss and BBMG offered me a ride home, but i figured i would make it home just fine. i grabbed the bag out of my garbage, just in case. i hopped in the car and rolled down the windows. i made it about a mile when i started feeling that horrible sensation of vomit on the way. there were several cars behind me with no where to pull over. so, i did the only thing i could. i grabbed the garbage bag with one hand and held the steering wheel with the other as i very violently tossed my cookies. thank God i managed to get it all neatly in the bag, and even better, the bag appeared not to have any holes in it!

when i got home i was like the living dead. every time i moved an inch i felt rolling waves of nausea. bf called at some point and urged me to try and eat. i grabbed a bowl of shredded wheat and managed two bites. my reaction was so strong that i had to lay down on the bed, the bowl of cereal and milk at my side. i couldn't even muster up the strength to take the bowl to the kitchen.

at some point in the afternoon, i spent some time laying on the bathroom floor. i don't remember the last time i have been that ill. and the worst part of it all? bf had no sympathy for me. he said it was my own fault that i didn't eat enough before taking the pills. (that morning i had half a donut, two 100 calorie packs and a bottle of green tea, but whatever.) so besides being violently ill, i was sobbing because bf was being so mean.

only later i found out that both my sister and my grandma have had the same reactions to vicodin. both are considered "allergic". that sure would have been nice to know.

now, i am dealing with the pain in this way: good old fashioned advil.

and the bf? well, i finally forgave him for being a dickhead. but next time he is ill i might just decide to kick him in the teeth.

4 comments:

Maurey Pierce said...

Ugh! Sounds brutal. Glad you're feeling better.

Whiskeymarie said...

Sorry you couldn't enjoy the sweet sweet V.
Oh well, the two times I took it it made me so constipated I thought that by the time the blessed event actually occurred that diamonds would come out.

feisty said...

advil is a better choice- i took anywhere between 4 to 6 advil every 4 to 5 hours when i was training for the 1/2 marathon and hurt my knee...it works great, especially at high doses....

feel better soon. tooth pain is the WORST!

Stacey said...

Oh you poor thing! I'm allergic to a particular antibiotic and the only way I found it out was by going through something similar.

On another note congrats on your vomitting talent. I once had a girlfriend vomit while driving us home. It was the day after a long night of partying and she managed to get it all "neatly" in a small cup.
I was as impressed w/her talents as I am yours :)