4.10.2007

my night as a sardine.

though the universe seemed to be conspiring against it, i did end up going to the bob schneider concert with my sister on friday night. she lives over an hour away from me, and i was supposed to be at her house at 8. due to some drama with the bf, i didn't even end up leaving my place until just about 8.

i swear i got stuck at every possible stoplight on my way up. every. single. one. when i arrived at her house it was almost 9:30. i needed to fix the crackwhore look i had aquired during the drama with the bf before i left. i threw on a different shirt, touched up my makeup and we were off.

bob was due to start at around 10:00, so time was tight. there was a lot of construction in the area of the venue, so we had a hard time finding a place to park. finally we got a prime spot for FREE because of a connection my sis has through her husband.

we got inside and saw little "sold out" signs posted all over the box office. shit. sis had not purchased our tickets ahead of time. she was ready to cry. back out to the parking lot to talk to her "connection." we followed him back into the venue and were able to get in for FREE. sweet.

the place was beyond packed. bodies were squeezed together on the floor with not an inch of breathing room between them. i had flashbacks of seeing club fires on the news and everyone creating a stampede that caused our bodies to burn into a charred mass of wreckage. but, i trudged forward, following my starstruck sister through the pack of sardines. there weren't going to be any pyrotechnics tonight anyway, where there?

we barreled our way through the crowd, making our way towards the stage. some little old lady actually pushed me. "keep moving ladies, you aren't taking my spot!" she growled angrily. i turned around and told her that maybe if she got her effing hands off me i'd get out of her way.

finally we fould a halfway decent spot to plant ourselves. there were a few really young guys between us who were loud and obnoxious but friendly. they buffered us from the crowd most of the night.

after we settled into our spot i started sipping these:



well, sipping wouldn't be quite the correct terminology. i practically guzzled my first one. i mean hey, i wanted to be able to really get into this concert of music i did not know. and get into it i did. if you have never been to a bob schneider concert, know that it is very interactive. a lot of sing alongs, etc. the more woodpeckers i consumed the more confident i was shouting out the words to these unfamiliar songs. i think my body was moving to the music the entire two hours. it was a blast.

it was too bad my sister had to be sober cab, she wasn't able to join me on my quest for the ultimate buzz. and buzz i did. it was great. i would definitely do it again. um er...the concert that is.

5 comments:

Maurey Pierce said...

You sound as out-of-practice as I am. I bet if we ever went out together, it'd be quite a puddle. ;-)

Glad you had fun. You've earned it.

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

i am definitely out of practice. it's sad when two wimpy woodpecker drinks are enough to have me bellowing out the tunes like a cabaret singer. especially when i didn't know the words. ; )

i do imagine we would be quite the puddle of drunken ridiculousness. but i bet it'd be fun! until the next morning, that is...

Maurey Pierce said...

Being out of practice is all good - it's an inexpensive way to go, at any rate.

TwinsGoddess said...

Bob Schneider is yummy.

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

i realy did enjoy his concert. the guy isn't bad looking but he does have a rather large melon...