3.14.2007

wow, that's old!

yesterday i took the day off work to spend with my daughter. she had kindergarten round-up! man, did that make me feel old. and sad. i could barely hold back the tears as i dropped her off at the elementary school classroom for her 1.5 hour visit. sometimes i'm such a sap.

co-workers who find out i have children are often surprised. "you have kids? you don't look old enough to have kids." really? have you seen the strech marks on my tummy? the bags under my eyes? the kid-snot on my nice dry clean only coat?

i am now thirty years old. thirty. i still get carded when i go to buy alcohol. which at this point, actually flatters me. not sure if i should really be flattered, but i am. when i'm not annoyed at having to dig out my license.

yesterday at walmart (please don't tell anyone i went shopping there) the clerk carded me. " you don't look that old!" she exclaimed as she looked at it. wow. should i be upset that she thinks thirty is old, which makes me old? or should i be happy that she doesn't think i look thirty?

what a conundrum.

2 comments:

Maurey Pierce said...

You are quite cute "for your age." (Don't you love hearing stuff like that?! Such a backhanded compliment!) Isn't it funny? When we were 18, we were all dying to look older. Now, we want to look 18.

Your daughter is gorgeous. I meant to post that a while back.

Domestically Disabled Girl said...

thanks maurey, we "old folk" appreciate a nice compliment now and then. ; )

thanks! i think she is gorgeous too, though i am a bit biased, obviously!